CHAPTER Ii, SECTION 5 ing and utility power through a full standing switchboard. A second feeder was for scientific power and entered the Station through a Userfurnished power filter and then to its main distribution board. All electrical work was of the rigid conduit type and general lighting with vapor-proof fixtures was provided. Ten threeinch rigid conduits tied this Station to Station 1201 for use of User-furnished coax cable. ENGINEERING. On 27 March 1953 various changes were desired by the Users in regard to preliminary functional drawings previously furnished to them. These changes consisted of adding a lead door in the tunnel, sealed against radiation, and additional reinforcements. Additional criteria were received on 20 Apni, 11 May and 15 July. The original electrical criteria were received on 17 February. Changes in electrical criteria were received on 27 July and on 12 August. Twenty-one plans and one sketch were prepared. Drawings were submitted from 8 May to 25 September. Approvals were from 9 June to 9 October. CONSTRUCTION. Work was scheduled to commence on 1 July and to be completed by 31 January 1954. The User requested occupancy by 5 January. Actual construction work started on & July and wurh was compieted on 25 January. Figure 2-98 notes 23° progress as ot 10 September. The figure shows the west side of the Station with the forms for the side walls being erected. Figure 2-99 notes 36% completion as of 5 October The front wall of Station 1200 is shown with its relation to Sration 1201. Figure 2-100 notes 82° compietion as of 19 December. The relation of ~:ation 1200 to Stations i201. 1203 and 1204.03 is shown. Figure 2-101 shows the interior of the utility room Jooking towards the entrance tun- ned. Figure 2-102 shows Stations 1200, 1201 and 1204.03 completed as of 5 February. The earth (ill for Station 1200 is shown. When compacting the carth cover over this Station a leak developed in the concrete roof slab, requiring removal of a portion of the cover and waterproofing of the slab. Waterproofing will be specified for future work of this sort. In the foreground of Fizure 2-102 are the User's trailers alongside the loading ramp. STATION 1201 DETECTOR STATION - SITE CHARLIE USER: UCRL GENERAL. The Station. used for reaction history. was 9 creel framed building 60-0" x Z60” x 20’-0" high with corrugated aluminum roofing and siding. From the underside of the roof beams, crane girders were hung for a two-ion bridge crane moving from end to end of the building. One of the end walls was a reinforced concrete retaining wall which followed the roof slope of the building and sloped to the grade from the eave strut. At the center of the wall, a reinforced concrete cave extended 8’-0” into the earth fill. This cave was five feet high. At the end farthest from the retaining wall there was a 38’-0” x 22’-0” high reinforced concrete shield wall 14 feet in front of the end wall. Thefloor of the building was a reinforced concrete slab poured on grade, MECHANICAL. The mechanical features included a two-ton bridge crane, a half-ton monorail hoist, forced air ventilation and sump pump. ELECTRICAL. Power was sub-fed from Station 1200. Figure 2-101. Station 1200 - Interior Utility Room prot iis Tow =p ~ a eee CONSTRUCTION. Construction was scheduled to commence on 20 September and to be completed by 31 December. Actual work started on 23 September and was completed on 23 December. The foundation progress photugraph is shown under Station 1200 (Figure 2-99}. Figure 2-103 shows the baffle wal for £ = Page 2-109 eebedeh nee me AE ENGINEERING. Onginal criteria were received on 10 April 1953. Additional criteria were received on 15 July, 31 July, 7 August, 14 August and 19 August. Engineering design started on 23 June. Six drawings were submitted from 1 July to 27 August and were approved from 4 August to 2 September.