CHAPTER Il, SECTION 4
there was an 11’-0” x 34’-0” reinforced concrete
bed frame two feet thick and flush with the top
of the floor slab. In t 2 bed frame there were
many anchor bolts embedded which tied down
three longitudinal User-furnished track assemies.

mensions and added a catwalk supported from
the floor. On 4 June 1953 criteria for the
anchorbolt plan of the bed frame were received.
On 5 June 1953, criteria deleted the catwalk
and revised the bedframe anchor bolt plan. The
anchor bolt plan was revised again on 29 June

The electrical service for this building was
located underground from the transformer bank
located in the cab compound. The service was
400 ampere, 120 208 volt, 3 phase, 4 wire to a
full-standing switchboard located in the Elect-

Nine drawings and five sketches were prepared. Design work proper started on 29 April
1953. The drawings were submitted on 20 May
and were approved on 26 May.

Three one-half H. P. roof ventilators were
installed in this structure, providing one complete air char:ze every five minutes. Banks of
filters were. provided in the north and south
wall air intakes to minimize dust conditions.
Original criteria were received on 29 January
1953, calling for roof ventilators providing
approximately 30 air changes per hour and
an explosion-proof crane of approximately 15ton capacity.
Criteria reccived on 1 May
1953 deleted the explosion-proof requirement
from the roof ventilators provided motors were
located outside of the air stream. The Useralso
decided to furnish the explosion-proof crane.
Criteria received on 12 May 1953, disclosed that
the User had an air compressor which they

would pipe to the air-operated crane.

General criteria were received 29 January
1953, which requested a schematic layout for
a building 33’-0” x 100’-0”. Additional criteria
were received 29 Anril 1952) which cunerseded
previous criteria and which requested two
60’-0" x 40’-0” x 53’-0” high buildings, separated by means of a breezeway, and two sheds,
one at the side of each building. The crane

and crane rails were to be furnished by the

User. Criteria of 1 May 1953 deleted one of
the two buildings and the breezeway. On 11
May 1953 the shed ard door from the main
buildings were deleted. Another shed was added
and one of the sliding doors of the main building was increased in size. Also, rails and structural tees were added ta the bed frame. Criteria
of 14 May 1953 relocated the shed, revised di-

GENERAL. The shore erosion on the lagoon
side at site Fred, which resulted from wave
action and storms from the southwest, was under close observation beginning early in 1952.
By the fall of 1953, this crosion had become

critical and the Field Engineering Division was

requested to make recommendations, with various alternative methods, in order to provide adequate protection to the buildings and facilities.
After taking all factors into consideration, tt was
decided from an economical, maintenance and
protective standpoint to construct a reinforced
concrete wal! along the reef sections of critical
erosion. The final design of the Seawall consisted of a reinforced concrete retaining wall that
averaged approximately four feet in height and
was keyed into a concrete footing. The footing
was keyed into the coral reef by doweling. The
Seawall was divided into eight separate sections
totaling approximately 5200 feet, the longest
of which was 1550 feet and the shortest 150
feet. These eight sections were give priority
in the order of their immediate need.
CONSTRUCTION. Dunnrg the construction of
Section Priority No. 1, there was a stretch of
the reef that had a break of approximately 50
feet that had no suitable coral shelf for foun-

dation. This was solved by filling this length

with large coral boulders up to required
grade. In a portion of Section Priority No. 3
adjacent to the Cargo Pier, there was no suitable reef foundation for the length of approximately 30 feet, so in this length short steel
piling was driven, extending the sheet piling
wall of the Cargo Pier. In Section Priority No.
4, the same’ method was used as in No. 3 where
the reef was so eroded that no suitable foundation was available. Work was started on 22
March 1954. and as of 8 May, 57°¢ of the work

was completed.

my

ee

Special 100 ampere, 3 phase explosion-proot
combination receptacle and breakers were located as directed by the User for use with the
“Camco” trailers. Flood-lighting was provided
as required to serve the area around the main
building.

CONTRACT ITEM NUMBER A.-74-C
SEAWALL- SITE FRED

ere eT epee RIT

ronics Room. Criteria required that the building
be explosion-prouf.

1953.

Select target paragraph3